Sankaty Head is the only original lighthouse still standing on the island. It is located on a 100 foot bluff, the highest point on the island, at the eastern end in Sconset. Completed in 1850, the lighthouse was 60 feet high with 10 more feet added in 1888 as a lantern deck. No longer needed as a working lighthouse, and in serious danger of falling into the sea, the Sconset Trust in 2007 took ownership of the property and moved the lighthouse to safer ground. A detailed story of the move can be found in "Keeping the Light" by Rob Benchley & Robert D. Felch. The grounds are open daily and several times a year the public is welcomed to walk to the top. These dates can be found on the Sconset Trust website along with a virtual tour of the top.